HOW TO DESIGN ANCHOR FASTENINGS IN MASONRY
Hilti’s code compliant HIT chemical anchors
Masonry has been used in construction since ancient times, for aqueducts, bridges and castles to industrial and residential buildings.
But until a few years ago, there were no official guidelines to design fastening systems for masonry.
Instead engineers used the recommended loads from anchor suppliers’ technical tables, onsite tests on base materials, engineering judgements and experience.
The ETAG029 guideline though, has now established a global concept for Qualification, On-site testing and Design of metal injection anchors for use in masonry, allowing for professional and accredited design.
OUR HILTI CHEMICAL ANCHORS FOR MASONRY
At Hilti we’ve developed chemical anchors to inject into masonry.
Our Hilti HIT-HY 170 & HIT-SC mesh sleeve systems are based on ETAG029 guidelines and are code compliant.
Our Hilti HIT-HY 170 injection anchor system:
- Allows several embedment depths in hollow and masonry bricks with rigorous mortar wastage control.
- Is technically approved and can be used on a wide range of base materials, for highest loads, smallest edge & spacing distances, brick joints and plastered walls.
- You can use our Hilti PROFIS Anchor software to design your anchor solutions.
WHAT ANCHORS DO WE OFFER FOR MASONARY APPLICATIONS?
We also offer mechanical anchors for masonry, including:
- Plastic anchors such as our Hilti HRD system (for redundant fastening design according to ETAG020)
- Metal anchors such as our Hilti HUS3 screw for solid masonry
HOW CAN I START TO DESIGN ANCHORS FOR MASONRY
If you need help with design, you can work with our expert Hilti engineers – just contact your local Hilti team.
- You can also use our Hilti PROFIS Anchor design software:
- It’s up-to-date with the latest codes and regulations
- Includes a wide range of bricks (ETA approved and additional Hilti tested bricks).
- You can include your onsite test results into your design
- Links to our Hilti BIM/CAD library
We can also help with onsite testing and evaluation of base materials, training seminars and webinars, technical data and documentation.
OUR ENGINEERING DESIGN SERVICE
Our expert Hilti design engineers work with our customers all over the world, onsite, online and on the phone. They can help you to create your design, or draw up a design for you. Just contact your local Hilti team for more information.